Preparation for endorectal ultrasound examination
Preparation for endorectal ultrasound examination.
There are three methods to prepare colon for this examination:
- by enemas
- by medicine (Fortrans)
- by procedure of hydrocolonotherapy
All these methods have some advantages and disadvantages. Enema’s preparation is tiring and troublesome procedure, which takes a lot of time. Fortrans (medicine) provides good colon preparation without using enemas, but you can apply it only after doctor’s prescription.
Preparation for endorectal ultrasound examination by enemas
You should make two enemas the day before examination (for example at 7 pm and at 9pm) and one enema 1-1,5 hours before visit. In the day before examination, you should exclude fruits, vegetables and cereals. There is better to eat bouillon and cookies with tea. In the day of visit, you can have light breakfast (tea with cheese).
Technique of enemas is described in appropriate site’s chapter.
Preparation for endorectal ultrasound examination by medicine (Fortrans)
- It’s better to start reception of Fortrans solution not earlier then 2 hours after eating
- 1 packet should be melted down in 1 liter of water
- There is possible to use lemon juice to improve the taste of solution
- You should drink 1 liter of Fortrans solution during 1 hour
- You should drink 1 glass of Fortran solution every 15min
- You should finish applying of Fortrans solution minimum 3 hours before procedure
- For complete cleansing there is necessary to drink 3 liters of solution (3 packets of Fortrans). If you have tendency to constipation drink 4 liters (4 packets of Fortrans).
- There is possible to eat only liquid food: water, bouillon, tea, juice.
If procedure will be tomorrow morning:
- last time you can eat today at 2 pm
- star applying Fortans at 4pm
- from 4pm to 5pm drink first liter of Fortrans
- from 5pm to 6pm drink second liter of Fortrans
- from 6pm to 7 pm drink third liter of Fortrans
- from 7pm to 8 pm drink forth liter of Fortrans (if it’s necessary)
If procedure will be tomorrow afternoon:
- last time you can eat today at 4 pm
- star applying Fortans at 6pm
- from 6pm to 7pm drink first liter of Fortrans
- from 7pm to 8pm drink second liter of Fortrans
- in the day of procedure from 7am to 8am drink third liter of Fortrans
- from 8am to 9am drink forth liter of Fortrans (that’s necessary)
Medicine influence starts approximately after first liter of Fortrans solution applying and finishes in 3-5 hours after last liter applying. If you can not make any kind of preparation (described above) we can prepare you in our proctology department by hydrocolonotherapy procedure immediately before examination. There is just necessary to accord it in advance with doctor of hydrocolonotherapy.